Statement of Privacy
The Historical Society of Washington, D.C. (Historical Society) is committed to protecting your privacy. This Statement of Privacy applies to the Historical Society’s website and governs data collection and usage at all the Historical Society sites and services; it does not apply to other online or offline sites, products or services. Please read the Historical Society’s Statement of Privacy. The Historical Society is an eCommerce website for charitable gifts and membership. Personal information of all users is collected, used and disclosed as described in this Statement of Privacy.
Collection of Your Information
As an e-Commerce website for charitable gifts and membership, the Historical Society collects personal information, such as your e-mail address, name, home or work address or telephone number. Information compiled by the Historical Society is used solely for billing and shipping your online purchases. The Historical Society does not collect any information about your computer hardware and software. The Historical Society encourages you to review the privacy statements of websites you choose to link to from the Historical Society so that you can understand how those websites collect, use and share your information. We are not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on websites outside of the Historical Society website.
Use of Your Information
The Historical Society and its operational service partners collect and use your information to process orders. It is possible that the Historical Society may also use personal information to inform you of other products, events, or services available from the Historical Society and its affiliates. The Historical Society may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current services or of potential new services that may be offered.
The Historical Society does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties. We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as handling the processing and delivery of mailings, providing customer support, processing transactions, or performing statistical analysis of our services. We will only provide those companies the personal information they need to deliver the service. They are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information and are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
The Historical Society does not use or disclose sensitive personal information, such as race, religion, or political affiliations, without your explicit consent.
The Historical Society may access and disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary. The Historical Society will conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on the Historical Society or the site, will protect and defend the rights or property of the Historical Society including its website; or will act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Historical Society or the public.
Personal information collected on this site may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which the Historical Society or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities, and by using this site, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country. The Historical Society abides by the safe harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data.
Control Your Personal Information
The Historical Society offers its customers, members, and donors choices for the collection, utilization, and sharing of personal information. You may notify us of your preferences by emailing email@example.com. Please be sure to provide complete account information so we can identify you in our records. You may also stop the delivery of future promotional e-mail from the Historical Society by responding directly to any email you receive with a request to remove you from the mailing list.
Security of Your Information
The Historical Society is committed to protecting the security of your information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, we store the personal information you provide on computer systems with limited access, which are located in controlled facilities. When we transmit highly confidential information (such as a credit card number) over the Internet, we protect it through encryption throughout.
Changes to This Statement
The Historical Society will occasionally update this Statement of Privacy to reflect company and customer feedback. If there are material changes to this Statement or in how the Historical Society will use your personal information, the Historical Society will prominently post such changes before implementing the change. The Historical Society encourages you to periodically review this Statement to be informed of how the Historical Society is protecting your information.
Terms and Conditions
The term ‘the Historical Society of Washington, D.C.’ or ‘the Historical Society’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20001. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit, and our Federal Identification Number is 53-0238800. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this site is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than by the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and be a criminal offense.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of United States of America.
All membership purchases and donations to the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. support our mission to collect, interpret, and share the history of our nation’s capital.
For donations or membership purchases made using the dchistory.z2systems.com website, if you have made an error in making your donation or change your mind about contributing to the Historical Society of Washington D.C., we will honor your request for a refund made within 15 days of your donation.
To request a refund, call +1 (202) 249-3955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Refunds are returned using the original method of payment. If you made your donation by credit card, your refund will be credited to that same credit card.
Social Media Comments Policy
In the spirit of community connection, you are encouraged to share your comments, ideas, and concerns. The Historical Society reserves the right to edit or block posts that do not comply with the following policies for the Historical Society’s social media accounts:
- Comments should only be from users over 13 years of age.
- Comments should relate to the specific post’s subject matter.
- The Historical Society deletes comments that contain abusive, vulgar, threatening, or harassing language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups.
- The Historical Society deletes comments that are off-topic.
- The Historical Society deletes comments that promote individuals, services, or products.
- All comments are reviewed daily.
- Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and may result in the comment being removed.
- The content of all comments is immediately released into the public domain, so do not submit anything you do not wish to be broadcast to the general public.
- Do not post personally identifiable information such as social security numbers, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- The Historical Society does not discriminate against any views but reserves the right to remove posted comments that do not adhere to these standards.
Members of the media are asked to pose your questions to the Historical Society office through normal channels and to refrain from submitting questions here as comments. Media questions or comments will not be posted.